Distinguished Knoxville Attorneys
Complimentary Case Evaluations
Back to Top

What Is Wrongful Death in Tennessee?

Negligence can lead to psychological issues, injuries, and death. When death is the direct result of negligence, the deceased’s loved ones want answers, but what rights do they have? Keep reading for more information about Tennessee’s wrongful death laws and your rights.

Wrongful Death

Wrongful death is a civil action someone may file against a person they believe should be held liable for their loved one’s death. A tortious injury – one that is the result of negligence or breach of contract – that causes unnecessary death could be grounds for a claim. The surviving relatives must file the claim on behalf of their departed family member.

Wrongful death could happen any number of ways from vehicle accidents to medical malpractice. If there was negligence involved that resulted in death, you may have grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit.

In some cases, wrongful death may be deemed a homicide in which case it is handled by investigators. A lawsuit can still be filed in civil court, but there will be an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death.

Filing a Claim

If you believe you have grounds to file a wrongful death claim the first thing you should do is hire an attorney. An attorney can help you evaluate the deceased’s estate and collect crucial documentation about their death including any information from an investigation. Qualified lawyers may do additional investigation into the death to look for new evidence.

Once you have gathered the necessary prerequisites, you may file a suit with the court. The lawsuit must be filed in the district where the individual either lived or the accident took place.

Justice for Your Loved One

If you have lost a loved one due to wrongful death and negligence, you deserve compensation. Eldridge & Blakney, PC can help you bring justice to those responsible and protect the legacy of your loved one. When you need dependable, fierce advocacy choose Eldridge & Blakney, PC.

Contact our firm to learn more.